1. You may submit information, including personal data and sensitive personal data to us via the on-line application form and University email addresses as an application ("application data"). Sensitive personal data is information as to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious, philosophical or similar beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, commission of criminal offences and/or involvement in criminal proceedings.
2. In acknowledging an application we are not verifying the content, accepting the application or making any offer of employment or engagement. We are not obliged to accept any application(s).
3. By storing and submitting your information you are agreeing to your application data being processed for the purposes of communication regarding recruitment with the University and you and in particular the;
• Consideration of your applications and your recruitment by the University
• How to control and remove cookies:
o If you decide to restrict or remove cookies which are set by our website, or any other website, you can do this through your browser settings. The Help function within your browser can tell you how. Please be aware that restricting cookies may limit website functionality and adversely impact your browsing experience on our website. For more information on how to control cookies on different browsers, please visit: www.allaboutcookies.org
o A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we put on your computer. Any cookie we set will only contain random but unique information which is set to expire when you close the browser. The cookie does not contain any personal or sensitive information. The cookie information can only be used by the browser when it sends requests for new web pages to our servers - the browser will not allow the cookie to be used for any other purpose. The cookie information will always be protected by strong encryption whenever the content is sent to us. The use of these cookies are essential for the correct and secure operation of our website.
o Information on the University’s policy on Cookies, is available at https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/privacy/cookies.aspx
• Once the session to the UoB system has been closed, the cookie will be null and void."
4. We are an equal opportunity employer (in accordance with applicable legislation) and do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability or any other basis covered by local legislation. All employment related decisions are made entirely on merit.
Data Protection and Confidentiality
1. We acknowledge that your contact details and application data (as defined above) ("your information") may be confidential. We will maintain the confidentiality of and protect your information in accordance with our normal procedures and all applicable laws.
2. We may use your application data and contact details solely for the purposes of recruitment. We may use information obtained about you from monitoring your use of this website solely for internal purposes including site performance and evaluation of the site's use. Personal data collected by monitoring will be aggregated, no personal or sensitive personal data will be used.
3. Your information will be controlled and processed by the University. You acknowledge and agree that the location of our offices may change from time to time and that we may acquire other offices in any number of other countries or territories at any time, any one or more of which may act as a controller of and/or process your information. We will not disclose your data to any other third party unless for recruitment purposes or required to do so by law or by our regulators.
4. You acknowledge and agree that we may from time to time transfer any of your contact details and/or application data overseas to any of our offices or of any of our affiliates, agents or appointed representatives. Some of our offices and those of our affiliates, agents or representatives are located in countries outside the European Economic Area which do not have well developed data protection legislation when compared to European law. While we will ensure your information is processed in accordance with this legal notice and privacy statement you may not have rights under data protection legislation in those jurisdictions equivalent to those under European law. Please do not send us any personal data if you do not want that information to be processed by us in the ways described by this notice.
5. You have the right to access and the right to rectify your personal data whether submitted as an application or otherwise by sending us a written request. There is a statutory charge of £10 for administering such a request. Please click here for further information about data protection at the University.
6. Occasionally third parties may provide storage services to us. In those circumstances those third parties shall be required to enter into a confidentiality agreement on no less stringent terms than found in this privacy statement and to process your data solely in accordance with our instructions.
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Tel:+44 (0)121 414 3344